Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Giving Wings to Fly

Well she's gone. Saturday we, a friend and I, drove Addlea to Illinois to begin her college experience. It was much different than I thought and everyone said how emotional I would be. Sorry- it didn't work out that way. I watched her bloom like the morning flowers do when the sun shines on them. I watched this little girl who had to be held down by the kindergarten teacher and the secretary so I could get out of the school become this incredible greeter, talker, smiler and open and embrace her new life. It was definately a moment that I will treasure as I watched her let God totally open her eyes to where He had placed her and for both of us to realize that this was exactly where God wanted her. She's at a retreat for Emerging Leadership this week and then Friday Jim and I go back down to Chicago to enjoy Parent Orientation. I don't have to worry about where she's at; Chicago is beyond my comfort zone, because she is where God wants her. I don't have to worry that she'll fall because I gave her wings to fly. She will fly. Perhaps a different flight pattern than I might have taken. Perhaps with different friends than I envision but when a bird takes to the wing, it goes where the winds blow it. It only needs to let God direct the wind currents.

1 comment:

Laura Schutlz said...

HI!
Wow, off to college. You have always done a great job trying to raise your children in the Lord. I am sure if feels great to see her wanting to serve the Lord.